Tuesday 22 September 2015

Family Gathering

I've managed to avoid writing to my own prompts so far this month.  However, this vignette popped into my head this morning after reading the prompt again, so I thought -why not.

A New Beginning

Family and friends gathered round the font.  Baby Davina Entwhistle was the first Entwhistle grandchild and her grandparents were suitably proud.  They would have preferred Mercedes to have finished her exams and be married before starting a family, but after a succession of unsuitable boyfriends she had settled on Ricky. 
‘Alright, gather a little closer so you can all get a good view,’ the vicar encouraged the gathering.
Mercedes held Davina and her Mum, Alison and Dad, Geoffrey edged closer to the vicar.  There was a good degree of jostling amongst the close friends and relations to get the best vantage points.
‘That’s better,’ announced the vicar as he took Davina from Mercedes.
Davina started to cry, she may only have been three months old but she took exception to this odd man dressed in funny robes holding her.

‘So, who is Davina’s father?’
Ricky bustled through the throng to stand next to Mercedes.
‘Excuse me, I think I’m the father,’ Trevor, a greasy haired teenager with an acne-riddled face pushed his way to the font.
‘Watch it mate, who do you think you’re pushing?  I’m Davina’s Dad,’ a bespectacled Nigel with a fierce crew-cut stared into Trevor’s eyes.
‘I don’t know what you guys think you’re doing, Mercedes told me I was Davina’s father,’ chirped Connor, wearing a grubby leather motorcycle jacket and ripped jeans.
‘Mercedes!’ Alison screamed.

Her daughter wriggled her way out of the melee and rapidly made for the open church door.  Ricky looked bemused whilst Trevor, Nigel and Connor pushed each other trading blows.  
The vicar looked on holding the baby, his face etched in panic!

No comments:

Post a Comment