Sunday 27 September 2015

Lost & Found

Another excellent prompt today, intriguing without too much detail.  Here's my offering, which could be the start of something bigger.

Déjà vu

Subdued morning light filters through thin white curtains; chilled air cools my face.  Plain pastel coloured walls greet my eyes; the window is too small and on the wrong side of the room.  I blink, this must be a dream; looking around I am awake.  Confusion sets in, what happened last night?  I dredge the inner recesses of my memory; last night has evaporated. 
OK, start again.  What did I do yesterday?  How did I get here?  Why am I here?  Still nothing.  Next there’s a knock on the door.
‘Hello,’ I call out timidly.
The door opens slowly; a young woman in a white-skirted uniform comes in.  Tidy shoulder length brown hair, fresh faced with no make up. I don’t know her; I’ve never seen her before. 
‘Hello Martin, how are you this morning?’
‘Confused,’ I say.
‘What are you confused about, Martin?’
‘Everything.’
She smiles politely.  At the end of my bed she picks up a blue folder, takes a pen out of her breast pocket and starts writing in the folder.
‘What’s that?’ I ask.
‘It’s your recovery plan, you know we fill it in every day.’
‘Do I?’
Another polite smile, she moves to the side of my bed and reaches out for my hand.  I’m not sure what’s happening, she takes my wrist and feels for my pulse.  Her other hand lifts her watch that’s attached to her uniform, while she counts silently.
‘That’s good, you’re making a good recovery and your pulse is much stronger today.’
‘Where am I?’
‘You’re at the clinic, I told you yesterday.’
My brain aches as I try to make sense of what she’s saying.  How long have I been here?  What happened?
‘What’s wrong with me?’ I ask.

‘Stress, a breakdown; it’s good you don’t remember, part of your recovery plan.’

No comments:

Post a Comment